05 November 2013

runner's playlist

If my running route involves city streets I like to hear what's going on around me so I have never been in the habit of listening to an iPod. However, I took my Nano on the Island's recent half marathon and enjoyed it, possibly even benefited from it.
 
Since then I have run three times a week in stony silence with only my thoughts for company. Today I decided to give it another go and spice up my usual 10k route to Victoria Park. I use a dedicated armband and although routing the cord through a sleeve and head hole is fiddly it's worth getting right as the weight of flapping cord will pull out your earbuds, already loosened from a combination of jiggling and sweating. Yes, even your ears sweat when you run!
 
Choice of music is important. It needs to be rousing, thrilling and familiar. Does it help me run faster? Possibly. It certainly helps take my mind off the pain. This is the playlist which motivates and excites me:   (Today I got as far as Morrissey - 55 minutes, and sprinting for the finish line.)
 
Woke Up This Morning Alabama 3
Golden Earring Radar Love
Bad to the Bone George Thorogood
Black Betty Ram Jam
Sultans of Swing Dire Straits
Mountain Top Bedouin Soundclash
Fake Palindromes Andrew Bird
Maria Blondie
Santa Monica Everclear
Give Me Novacaine Green Day
Guiding Light The Veils
Still Rock & Roll to Me Billy Joel
Summer of '69 Bryan Adams
Time for Heroes The Libertines
Boeing 737 The Low Anthem
First of the Gang to Die Morrissey
Some Might Say Oasis
Country Girl Primal Scream
Easy Deer Tick
Common People Pulp
Smile Like You Mean It The Killers
Still in Love Song The Stills

No comments: