05 February 2019

A Shock at the Thrift Store


We were in our local ‘lightly used’ thrift store, Value Village recently and I wandered off to check out the jigsaw puzzles leaving Susan to work her way systematically through an eighty foot rail of jeans (at the small end), most so tiny I wouldn’t get a foot in them.
 
From a discreet distance I could see just the tippy-top of her little head and could tell she was engrossed in her trouserly inspections. I slunk surreptitiously back in her direction, keeping low to avoid detection. In no time I was creeping along the aisle next to hers and soon stationed myself right opposite her, just two rails of clothing now separated us.
 
The flapping of jeans legs and the clicking of hangers confirmed she was still rapt in her task and oblivious to most of what was going on around and about. Now I was crouched down and slowly parting the garments on my side of the rails... then, a swift swish of Levi’s and I poked my head through with a beaming smile! Well, the dancing and the jumping and the loud verbal protestations had to be witnessed to be fully appreciated. Suffice to say I could have done with my big spatula to ease the little lady off the ceiling!
 
Susan’s a good sport... but to calm her now thumping heart I skipped around to her aisle, sidled up to her and reached my arm right around round for a light squeeze of the upper t-shirt – a double squeeze, two in quick succession accompanied by a double-toot sound, somewhat reminiscent of a cartoon car horn. Inevitably I collapsed into giggles while Susan, to her eternal credit, gave me a sheepish grin.
 
Despite all this mischief she is still speaking to me (well, mumbling oaths, at least!)

No comments: