12 March 2019

Bonshaw Hills Snowshoeing

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 



 
After an early lunch of grilled cheese sandwiches (ridiculously early if you subtract the time change) we drove to Bonshaw Hills Provincial Park. Susan’s snowshoes have developed a tear where the bindings rub so she was on library shoes whereas I was trying out a pair newly bought from Sportchek.
 
The sporting gods smiled on Susan and gave her wonderful passage on all types of terrain whereas they frowned on me. Within minutes I knew these shoes weren’t up to the task. On the gentlest of inclines I had little grip and when the ground rose I was sliding.
 
We had selected a long route and were insistent on accomplishing it so we forged ahead regardless. Was it a smart idea to take a side trail called the Witches Way? No, it turned out to be truly evil. Ropes were strung between tree trunks to give the unsteady climber a fighting chance. Despite them I slithered and stumbled, cursing my way up a steep slope. Susan waited at the top having scampered up like a nimble young gazelle.
 
At three kilometres and seventy-five minutes in we took stock. I had been breaking trail on virgin snow for several minutes and I was getting tired, not to mention frustrated with slithering so we chose to turn around and trudge back. My feet had long since turned numb with the cold yet I could feel squishiness in my socks. I realized I had been relying on my three year old Gore-Tex boots for too long.
 
By the time we were back at the parking lot I was more than ready to jump into a warm car and head for home. Tomorrow will be returns day at Sportchek.

No comments: