01 September 2019

Judging a Book By Its Cover


I’m a fan of YouTube videos, especially those dealing with UFOs, ancient archaeology, conspiracy theories, the paranormal and other hard-to-explain phenomena. The Internet is crawling with them however there are clues to the value of such material even before clicking ‘play’. If the title includes any or all of the words: shocking, stunning, mind-blowing, insane or jaw-dropping, then I won’t watch it. Similarly, if the thumbnail depicts a grey alien or a traditional flying saucer then I am on guard.

All of the above are examples of ‘click bait’ and unless I have very good reason to watch (for example a solid recommendation) then I move on. I know from experience that the more enticing a video tries to appear, the less credible or reliable it is likely to be, and therefore less interesting or informative.

If I have chosen to sample a video and the introduction is a mess of thunderous drumbeats and quick-cut editing then I’m gone. Sadly today’s world is awash with such nonsense; a triumph of style over substance. Just occasionally one stumbles across a rich seam of worthwhile material. One such has been the output of private documentary filmmaker, Richard D Hall, a native of Tyneside who takes it upon himself to investigate many areas which are regarded as off-limits or taboo by the mainstream media.

I am half way through his seventy or eighty films under the Ufology category. It’s a revelation to see how many highly credible, intelligent and very high-ranking individuals have put their experiences into words or on paper. I recommend a visit to his site, Rich Planet where he puts all his material online for free.

I have already watched all his documentaries concerning the 2007 disappearance of Madeleine McCann in which he is highly suspicious of the parents, and produces a mass of evidence, direct and circumstantial, against them. There is plenty of food for thought.

***

On a lighter note, self-serve checkouts! I can’t be the only one who talks back to them, surely? Some are acceptably direct, Atlantic Superstore for example. Others are quite calm and polite, like Sobeys. However the one which annoys the bejesus out of me is the shrill bitch at Wal-Mart. One millisecond after you scan your item she’s bleating, “Put the item in the bagging area” in an irritated, sassy voice. Give me a damn chance! I’m doing it! If she doesn’t detect the tell-tale feel of weight in the bagging area within an instant she comes on even stronger, waling at me as if this is my last godamn chance.

I snap back with liberal use of the F word. At the end of this distasteful experience she has the gall to enquire, “How did we do today?”

You did crap, I mutter as I grab my item and head for the door where, I might add, I am now met every time by a staff member who wants to check my receipt against the single bloody item in my hand. I simply glare and ignore the suggestion that I - “have a nice day!”

No comments: