25 June 2021

Tea Hill via the new Hillsborough Bridge bike path

I’ve ridden the Hillsborough Bridge many times on a gritty and narrow shoulder. This week all four lanes of the bridge re-opened after a year of strengthening work coupled with the introduction of a dedicated bike lane, shielded by Armco barriers, which runs on the west side of the bridge.

I decided to check it out on a sunny Friday. The Riverside Drive Grafton/Street junction is a slow mess using the bike lanes and I may just ride that section on the road another time. However my experience on the bridge was much calmer than before with smooth tarmac and a wide path to myself.

I combined the ride with a loop taking in the grim climb which is Tea Hill. I made it to the top without getting off but only with much grunting and puffing and a very elevated heart rate. I am an old man after all.

A powerful southerly wind propelled me back.

No comments: